POEMS syndrome is an acronym for: Polyneuropathy, Organomegaly, Endocrinopathy, M-protein, and Skin changes. POEMS syndrome is very rare . It is also known as Crow-Fukase syndrome, Takatsuki disease, or PEP syndrome.
Looking at the acronym for POEMS syndrome in more detail:
- Polyneuropathy - Multiple neuropathies, or diseases of the nerves.
- Organomegaly - Enlargement of the liver and spleen
- Endocrinopathy - Any disease resulting from disorder of an endocrine gland or glands
- M-protein - Abnormal protein antibody
- Skin changes - Including an increase in pigmentation and excess growth of hair, possibly caused by endocrine disease, esp. of the adrenal gland, and in women, disease of the ovaries.
Posted by Staff at June 7, 2005 11:16 PMblog comments powered by Disqus
I am trying to find some answers, and don't know where to look. I was diagnosed with severe anemia, after more testing they said that I was low on blood, I had a transfusion. That was 2 months ago, now all my symptoms are coming back, could my body not be making blood? If so, why? Where do I begin?
Posted by: Sandy at August 21, 2005 8:23 PM